Wednesday, July 9, 2014

weeks 8, 9, & 10

columbus, oh

April 13:  I convince my 65 year old mother who is in her pajamas, reading, to ride with me to Taco Bell at half-past midnight.  At first we are self conscious that she is in pjs and clogs, and I am ill and without a bra, but then we put it in perspective and conclude that we cannot be the worst that has crawled through the Taco Bell drive-through after midnight on a Sunday... Just the soberest.


April 14:  We've made it to 9 weeks.  My baby-to-be is now the size of a grape.  And we stop calling it an embryo at this point.  It's a "fetus."  (Hard to love that word isn't it?   I think I'll stick with "grape.")


April 15:  My dad cooks rice in a rice cooker and the smell fills the house.  I try to hide in my room upstairs but it permeates everything and I am reeling.  Of all the foods he makes... Rice?  Really??


April 16:  There is nothing funny about going to the ER.

April 17:  First time in public in days.  I come home with three books on pregnancy, unscented chap-stick, and a bag of jelly beans.

April 18:  There is nothing funny about being constipated... unless you're the one who is not constipated.  If that's the case, the comic potential is limitless.  I shit you not.

April 19:  Nope.  I take it back.  There is nothing funny about being constipated.  Anyone who makes a joke featuring the word "shit, crap, crapload, shitload, pile, smooth move, movement, bowl movement, anal retention, poo, poop, dookie or doo" gets a punch in the face and my sincerest "Up Yours!" in response.  (Shameless, little bugger, aren't I?)

April 20:  Ten weeks.  Little fetus-froo-froo is the size of a prune.  Please tell me you see the irony.  (Read April 19 and 18.)

April 21:  At 10:00, I am still unsure if I will get on my 11:30 flight for a vacation that had been planned for about a year.  I have canceled so much in the last several weeks.  I have canceled all business related flights (3.)  I have canceled everything social.  I have canceled all business...  
... and then I line several paper bags with plastic ones to take on board as I decide, "fuck it," because taking a vacation is not going to get easier over the next two decades.  Amiright?

naples, fl

I wear this hat and this beach cover-up all week.

April 22:  Hey World, I'd like to apologize for the look of distaste I've been wearing for weeks now.  Apparently, there is a name for the awful sour/metal taste in my mouth:  Dysgeusia.
I prefer my modern spelling: Dysgustia.

April 23:  I get a little too enthusiastic about eating at a restaurant and ordering from the grown-up menu.  I enjoy a salad, an entree, an entire sweet potato (with butter and brown sugar thank-you-very-much) and most of a slice of key lime pie (I lost a lot of weight to hyperemesis; I can eat whatever the fuck I want!) ...  At three AM I am forced to give it all back.  To Madam Hyperemesis.   Oh, and she left a message on her way out:  "Hey Pregnant Lady, You cannot eat whatever the fuck you want.  Love, Mme. Hyperemisis.  PS.  You're out of mouthwash."

April 24:  My new diet staple is the DQ blizzard.  May I have the high-fiber blizzard?  Oh, you know, the one with something crunchy and fibrific.  Like Oreos.

April 25:  A friend claims to see the beginnings of my "baby bump."  I see the effect of a brownie fudge sundae.

April 26:  I survive the flight back home, but I fall asleep, curled up in the fetal position in the waiting area between flights.  You think fetal position refers to the position of an in-utero fetus, but I am here to tell ya:  it refers to the only position that is comfortable to a person carrying a fetus.

No comments:

Post a Comment