Sunday, July 27, 2014

92 Yahoos

weeks 17 & 18    cape may, nj

June 8: Seventeen weeks. They say she's the size of a pear.

June 9: I wean down from three anti-nausea pills to two. And I feel great!

June 10: ...Then I throw up.
(This is becoming a common refrain.)



June 11: She's moving! It's not gas! It feels like she's in there popping bubble-wrap. Pop. Pop, pop...

June 12: We receive baby's first book: "Oh, Baby, the Places You'll Go, A Book to Be Read in Utero," a tribute to Dr. Seuss. I start reading this very night. I follow up the Seuss with Shakespeare. Between these two Greats, I think she's pretty much covered.

June 13: In the morning, I rub my belly and say, "Good Morning, Baby!" In response, my stomach growls. I figure this is pretty much where our relationship is headed for a while, so I skip any further pleasantries, and just go eat the cereal.

June 14: The men that I work with insist that my pregnancy hormones are making me glow-y and attractive, and that, when we go out, I am turning all the men's heads.
(What kind of a cruel trick of Nature is that? If I'd had some of that when I was un-pregnant around age twenty-five, maybe I wouldn't be in the fetchingly-titled category: "Advanced Age Pregnancy.")
Later, I tell Sheffield my castmates' theory:
Me: So, the guys in my cast say I must be giving off attractive pheromones or something because they think I'm magnetic, and they say wherever I go, I am turning men's heads.
Sheffield: I'm not sure what to say to that.
Me: How about, "Yeah? So? What else is new?"
Sheffield: Oh. Right. That's my line. Can we try it again?

June 15: Eighteen weeks. She's the size of a sweet potato!
I have made it all week on just two anti-nausea pills a day. The Costume Assistant on our show asks me if he should add a liquid-proof lining to my prop purse, as a vomit contingency plan. It's nice the way people look out for the pregnant chick...


June 16: When I was really sick, I would sing to myself while I waited for the medication to kick in. But I'm not a very good singer, and I only know three songs in full. If little fetus froo froo had hearing or memory at that point, she would be born knowing shoddy melodies but all the lyrics to: Me and Booby McGee, The Gambler, and Jose Quervo.
* Please, if you do not know Jose Quervo by Shelly West, please click here: Your New Favorite Spring Break/Drinking/Lullaby Song
** Friends of the author: If I could sing, the above link shows pretty much how it would go. Also, c'mon, don't I kind of look like Shelly West? I totally have that outfit...

June 17: Ten years ago, as a trophy to myself for completing my first full marathon, I got a belly-button piercing. I love my belly ring. But there are conflicting thoughts on having a belly ring during pregnancy. You wouldn't believe how often my conversations with others fall toward my belly ring. People were a little concerned about my endless vomiting and loss of fluids.
People are very concerned about what I'll do about my belly ring.
Here's what it looked like 3 weeks after baby's conception:

I can't promise that I will continue to post photo updates of this view. 

June 18: Mounting concern toward my belly ring drives me to seek advice.
What did your doctor say?, you might be thinking.
Doctor? Who needs to consult a doctor with Yahoo Answers?
I found about 92 answers, from 92 yahoos, half of which say I can leave it in no problem, and half of them say take it out the minute I discover I'm pregnant.
I have to give this some thought.

June 19: I have given it some thought: since I'll be spending the summer at the beach, and because I'm vain, I've decided to keep the belly-button ring in at least through July.
So, we can all relax for a little bit, okay?

June 20: I warned my husband that though you can't really tell that I am pregnant when I'm in clothes, without clothes, I'm starting to look like one of the M&M Guys. Sheffield said, "What color?"

June 21: Costume Master took out the waist of my dress by an inch. Act One is significantly easier.

a few more texts between sheffield and me:



No comments:

Post a Comment