Thursday, July 3, 2014

weeks 6 & 7

asheville, nc

March 28:  Sheffield asks, do I think it's a boy or a girl.  I say I have no instinct on the matter, but based on how I feel, whoever's down there is banging on a set of drums, tap-dancing, has ordered pizza with extra pepperoni, is playing video games with the TV on and the radio --both turned-up--, is practicing on the trampoline, trying out a soliloquy, sanding the walls, dancing on the ceiling, and just generally making itself clear:  "am running this show, mama!"  Sheffield says, with a small sigh, "It is my baby."

March 29:  I visit my friend Jenn in Asheville.  She enters my lodging, hugs me, and this is how the conversation goes:

J:  Hi!
G:  Hi!
J:  How are you!?!
G:  Okay...
J:  Are you pregnant?
She's pretty intuitive, but she had no effing way of knowing.
I am not fooling anyone.
I tell the truth.

March 30:  I begin the Opposite Ginna Diet.  No vegetables.  Bring me carbs.  White carbs.  White salty carbs...
But I will only eat half of them.

louisville, ky

March 31:  I'd like to write today, but there is nothing funny about dry heaves.

April 1:   I'd like to write today, but there is nothing funny about vomit.

April 2:  I eat my last meal for the next three days.  It is half of a fruit smoothie and a quarter of a bagel. I cry on the phone when I tell my colleague that I cannot board a plane to see my play-reading in a week.  I cry at everything.

... but Sheffield continues to make me laugh.

April 3:  Flattened.  One liter of IV fluid.  The foreman who is working on my aunt Mary's house where I am staying comes to the bedroom door when he hears the sounds of retching.  The poor man discovers me, starfish-style, with my head hanging off the side of the bed and an IV in my left arm hooked-up to a bag hanging from the ceiling fan.  I don't know which of us felt worse for the other.

April 4:  Flattened.  Two liters of IV fluid.  I do not leave my room.
Nausea is a monster who is always in the room.  Sometimes he attacks.  Today was a bludgeoning.


April 5:  I wake up at 3:30 AM to puke.  It is the last puke for a while, because now I take anti-nausea medicine every four hours.  I still need one liter of IV fluid.

April 6:  Over the course of an entire day, I consume solely the contents of one can of soup.  Almost.  Some rice and stuff stuck to the bottom and looking at it made me gag, so I left it.  But I still feel like a champ.

April 7:  I take bath and blow dry my hair.  It knocks me out for an hour.

columbus, oh

April 8:  I can eat a potato!  I can take a walk!

April 9:  I hate potatoes.  I can't walk.

April 10:  I hate food.  I can't lift my head.

April 11:  I will never enjoy food again.  I am a professional Out-The-Window-Starer.

April 12:  On their way home, my parents stop to get me a Taco Bell burrito and a McDonald's Milkshake.  This is amazing.  They are amazing.  (PS:  This shit would never fly when I was an actual dependent.  They just really want a grandkid.)

No comments:

Post a Comment